Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A to Z Challenge the letter I = Intuition


Wikepedia’s definition of INTUITION is that it “provides us with beliefs that we cannot necessarily justify. “
In psychology Carl Jung defined intuition as "perception via the unconscious". There are many times throughout the day we are called upon to make decisions, but how often are these decisions based on intuition? I think in some cases our subconscious has been ”trained”  so that we automatically make the decision based on how the training has gone.

“Mother’s intuition” is often joked about, but I have had a case that proved true for me. I was due to fly over 6 states away for a week long conference one Monday morning and received a phone call from my son the prior Friday morning. He was attending college several hours away and wanted me to find out which doctors there accepted our insurance. He asked if I would make him an appointment for the following Monday. He did not seem to take the symptoms as seriously as I did but after a few moments of thinking the situation over, I asked him to have his roommate drive him to the emergency room. He protested that the pain was not THAT bad, but I was persistent.  Knowing my son’s tolerance for pain and abhorrence of doctor visits, I knew this had to be serious. My “mother’s intuition” kicked in and told him I would leave work and drive there to take him myself.  He promised he would wake his roommate and have him drive him, but for some reason, I just knew I had to get there. I informed my boss and called my sister who was off that day and she volunteered to go with me. By the time I had picked her up, he had called back and said they would be doing an emergency appendectomy and he was being admitted to the hospital. We arrived about 20 minutes before the operation took place.

We often use our intuition when a place or experience does not feel right and sometimes we will ignore our intuition and the experience ends up making us miserable. I like to think that intuition is the “voice of reason”  that is there to assist me as I go through life. I have an impulsive nature so I am thankful for that “little voice” many times. 

No comments:

Recent Comments

Previous Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive