Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A to Z Challenge the letter H = Happiness



In researching this post, I came across many websites touting “10 Keys to True Happiness”, “5 Laws of Happiness”, “You can be Happy Forever”, well that last one I just threw in, but you get the general idea.
The psychology websites tout words like validation, statistically testing, neuro-scientific studies and so on. I have read where your birth order can affect how happy you are and all sorts of probably very sound research initiatives but that does not give us a simple answer.

My opinion of happiness may differ drastically from scientists, psychologist and just everyone else in general. As someone has experienced depression, I can vouch that it can be harder work to feel happiness at times.  I came across an author who decided to chronicle a year of experiments and following different paths to achieve happiness. Her blog is divine and just reading the posts can lift your spirits. I just ordered her book and I will review it here later this month.

I am at my happiness when I am doing something for others. This almost goes back to the Five Languages of Love post, but my language of showing love is acts of service. (Receiving love however is a whole different language.) I have always been a volunteer of some sort throughout my life. Scouting, 4H, and other community related events can count me in. Though I am an unpublished writer, I volunteer to host blog hops, twitter chats, etc. whenever an author I know has a project going on. 

For the word Happiness today, I am going to suggest Gretchen Rubin’s Happiness Project website and also challenge you to do a small act of random kindness today. I sometimes leave change in a vending machine or drop a quarter into a gumball machine for a lucky kid. I like to do things anonymously though, as I am doing it to help make someone else’s day as well. Being anonymous just gives me a greater satisfaction.
If you want happiness for an hour ? take a nap.

If you want happiness for a day ? go fishing.
If you want happiness for a year ? inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime ? help someone else.
Chinese Proverb 

No comments:

Recent Comments

Previous Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive