Monday, April 30, 2012

A to Z Challenge the letter R= Respect and Responsibility

I have a few letters left in this challenge and though I will finish the last few letters for my own peace of mind and prepare better for next year.
Number three on the Dalai Lama’s “Instructions for Life” (which I am sure appear in other religions as well) are the three R’s:
Respect for self. Respect for others. Responsibility for your actions.

As part of my mindfulness practice, I am trying to stop and correct my thoughts when I think or say anything that is not respectful. Yes, I am a person who just blurts things out at times. I also have a habit of saying things that are negative about myself  that do not show respect.  Who needs enemies when we can damage ourselves with all of the negative self talk?

 The Dalai Lama has said that the only way to work out a problem is through dialogue. For dialogue to be successful however, we have to respect the other person’s point of view. We may not agree with it, but we should be respectful of their view as we would wish them to respect us. He also urges us to have a sense of compassion in resolving issues:
“There is no other alternative, only to talk, that’s the wisdom side, then respect others interest, genuine sense of concern – concern of others well-being that’s the basis." - Dalai Lama   Source: LYBIO.net 

No comments:

Recent Comments

Previous Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...