Thursday, December 15, 2011

What do I do with so many plot ideas?

I have bypassed all of the books that assist writers with plot ideas. My problem, at the moment, is TOO many plot ideas. I have the basics for two cozy mysteries in a series, the first in a of a historical mystery series, two historical fiction novels set in totally different times and countries, and most recently a pulp fiction piece. I have spent countless hours pouring over reference books on the two historical fiction novels. My best friend has almost become "Friends" with the characters of the cozy series and has begged me to write at least the first book in the series. My NaNoWriMo novel consisted of the first book in the historical mystery series and I have temporarily shelved it until I work through more of the plot twists. The story ideas come faster to me than I have time to write them! I have posed this question to my small writing group and was told to write about what interests me most. The idea for the pulp fiction piece struck me on my drive home and I as wandered through the grocery store last night and by lunch time today I had major points formulated for the story. I plan to write the basics and the few scene ideas tonight and the resume focus on my historical pieces. I wonder how other writers deal with this dilemma and hope to discuss it deeper with my writing group this weekend.

I just finished Natalie Goldberg's "Writing Down the Bones" and I highly recommend it to those just beginner to write seriously. One of the quotes I liked was" This book is about writing. It is also about using writing as your practice, as a way to help you penetrate your life and become same." If you are having doubts about yourself as a writer and your abilities, this book will help you resolve those doubts. We often think writers are a magical breed and we could never make the cut. My confidence and desire to write was boosted tremendously by this book and I plan on revisiting it many times. It is one that will stay in my library.

No comments:

Recent Comments

Previous Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...